Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hartsville Country Club

Coker College has access to a golf course that is really a great place for our team to practice and play everyday. When I first stepped foot onto Hartsville Country Club (HCC), I knew I was going to fall in love with the course. I saw the potential that the course had because of the good layout.

The first day I went to HCC, I meet Brad Nycum. Brad is the new general manager and teaching professional at Hartsville. He was very nice and welcomed me to the club. He explained how he would be working with us to become better golfers. Brad actually played at Florida Sate along with PGA member, past PGA Champion and former Ryder Cup Captain, Paul Azinger. Brad has made tremendous changes to the club and the results are amazing. I see Brad working very hard from sun-up to sun-down. Everyday you will see him mowing the fairways or even cutting down shrubbery to make HCC the premier place to play.

Just recently, the HCC community raised money to over-seed the golf course. If you aren’t familiar with this process, it is a very expensive task. It cost thousands of dollars for the over-seeding, and, to me, it is well worth the money. The fairways are starting to come in, and they look outstanding. The greens are rolling true and are looking better than ever. With the changes that have happened in this short amount of time, I can only imagine how great the course will look my senior year. The whole community is helping with the project of making HCC the place to play. I have noticed many small projects that have made the course look great. Landscaping has been done around the putting green and adjacent to number 2 tee-box. The bag drop was painted and looks really good. These small changes have made a great difference in the new look of the golf course.

My freshman year I thought our team was very fortunate to have HCC as a place to play and practice. The range was very good and the chipping green was easily accessible. Brad has the range looking even better now, plus there is really nice (and fast) putting green for us to put in extra hours working on those grueling 5 footers. Nets have been set up to make a fun range game with my fellow teammates. Also, the club has switched to stacking the range balls in pyramids which enhances the private club feel.

I really like the layout of our course and there are plenty of challenging holes. On behalf of our team and coaches, I want to thank HCC for the opportunity for us to improve our skills and become more competitive.

In this video I talked with Ben Conroy about Hartsville Country Club.



Thanks for your time and tune in for my next blog entry!

Jared Crane


1 comment:

  1. Great blog post -- enjoyed your observations about the course and then the video emphasized that message but from another perspective. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete